Thursday, July 9, 2009

Funnel Cakes, Cotton Candy and More..

Our county fair is on right now and I always look forward to attending. I just love the fair. It brings back fond memories of my childhood growing up in Wyoming. Yes I was in 4-H. I showed livestock…lambs to be exact and entered in sewing, canning and cooking. Everyone did. My boxes in the attic have a few ribbons and rewards from my years in 4-H. What a great experience. I wouldn’t have traded those times for anything. This year as in years past I walk the entire fair. I look at every quilt and at every pie, jar of jam, pickles, and cakes. I don’t envy the judges at all. They all look so good! I mosey on down to the livestock barns and look at the entries there. I talk with the kids about their lamb, goat or steer. The bright and shiny faces, proud to show off the ribbons won and what their plans are for next year. The smell as you approach the barns are of hay and straw and yes the not so pleasant but it all mingles together to give that one of a kind memory. My photos are of some of the winners this year. While ribbons weren’t available for the photo as parents have securely tucked them away to the scrapbook at home, the winners themselves show in their velvet eyes the thrill of victory. Support these young people. They are learning valuable lessons for life that will make them outstanding citizens, responsible adults and productive leaders in our communities and our nation.
For us quilt lovers I have included pictures of some of the quilts, and one simply fabulous quilt shop. I apologize for the picture, but the “shop” was behind glass and it was difficult to take clear pictures of it. I think you can see how truly creative and fabulous this little shop is. And poor shot or not, warrants a place on my blog. Last but not least is the carnival. What child doesn’t have fond memories of the carnival? It’s a rite of summer and a rite of passage in our youth. What was your favorite ride? The Tilt-O-Wheel? the Ferris Wheel? or the carousel? Let me know that your favorite was and your favorite memory of the fair.


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Alameda County Fair
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment