Wednesday, July 15, 2009

First Quilt...Last Quilt


I think I am the last holdout. I mean for Camille’s blog post asking for us to show our first quilt and then our last quilt. I think go-go boots were in style.. Or maybe it was sooner than that. Not sure LOL. Think it was actually 2002. I hadn’t sewn in decades. I use to make all my own clothes and fell out of love with sewing. I had been through a traumatic time when I lost my parents and my 3 20 year old cats in a span of 2 years. I was desperately looking for a way to keep all the memories intact. My neighbor was a quilter and we talked about a memory quilt and what it would entail. I begged and pleaded with her to make it for me, but her pat answer was “You can make it”. I finally gave in and dug out the old sewing machine. I had to plan, no pattern just a thought. I gathered photos and bought some of that awful iron-on transfer fabric. Printed my animal pictures on it and began. I had no idea what a quilt shop was but Hancock’s was just down the street. I bought 2 fat quarter packs of PLAID HOMESPUNS! What was I thinking. I set out to make a wall hanging. That wall hanging now fits on my queen size bed. It’s still one of my favorite quilts and its place of honor is next to my side of the bed on a quilt rack. After that quilt there was no stopping me. I made 6 more that year. As for my last quilt well that would be Carolina Rose. As the saying goes..We’ve come a long way baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment